2FA is an electronic authentication method in which a user is granted access to a website or application only after successfully presenting two or more pieces of evidence (or factors) to an authentication mechanism: knowledge (something only the user knows), possession (something only the user has), and inherence (something only the user is). MFA protects the user from an unknown person trying to access their data such as personal ID details or financial assets.
2FA in Tanki Online
Ever since the beginning of Tanki Online, many players got their accounts hacked or stolen by hackers. It has been a serious problem due to the fact that the only thing that protected the accounts was a single password, which in many cases was easy to guess. After many players have requested a 2FA system in the game, the developers have finally added it!
This system allows you to set a "secondary password" which changes every few minutes. The only way to get access to this password is by having access to the player's personal phone. This system works on both versions of the game (PC & Mobile)
How can you enable 2FA?
The first step is to go into your account's settings (located in the bottom left of your screen), from there you need to click on the "security" tab. Once you get there, you will see an option to enable two-factor authentication. In order to proceed, you must click on the "ENABLE" button!
Once you have clicked the button, a new page will appear. The next step is downloading an authenticator app on your phone, such as "Google Authenticator", "Microsoft Authenticator" or "LastPass". Such apps scan QR codes, which is what you must do next; once you have downloaded the authenticator app successfully, you need to use it and scan the QR code that appears on your screen. Upon scanning the QR code, a security code should appear on your app. To proceed, you need to type the code you received in the "security code" text box.
If you have done everything correctly, the "ACTIVATE" button should become clickable. Click on the button in order to activate the 2FA.
Congratulations, your account is safe! After completing all the steps, the security tab should look like this;
When will the game ask me for a security code?
The game will ask for a one-time code in the following cases:
- You enter your the first time after you have enabled two-factor authentication;
- You enter your account from a new device;
- You have cleared your cache or cookie files in your browser (or the game client).
How can you disable 2FA?
If for whatever reason you want to disable your 2FA, you need to click on the "DISABLE" button. A warning will appear on the screen, click on the "OK" button if you are sure you would like to disable 2FA.
Logging into your account
Now whenever you, or anyone else will try to log into your account, the game will ask you to submit a security code.
- You may enable “Remember me” option and you won’t have to enter a one-time code each time you enter your account;
- You can disable two-factor authentication but you will have to confirm your one-time code to do it;
- If you have lost access to an authenticator app, the only option to return your account will be via our customer support department email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to use Google Authenticator
Google Authenticator generates 2-Step Verification codes on your phone. Having problems? Follow the steps below!
1. Download the app to your phone.
2. Once you are inside the app, there should be a "+" icon on the bottom right of your screen. Upon clicking the "+" icon, a camera will open. Point the camera at the QR code so the app will scan it for you.
3. After scanning the code, a security code will appear on your screen.