Controlling your tank is the most fundamental step one needs to pass through in their career. It can be said that it is one of the most influential moments of a player's career, as it plays a pivotal role in deciding their playing style later in the game. Now, let's take a look at the basic (default) controls, their customization, and the problems which occur in doing so.
- 1–6 — Use supplies:
- Repair Kit
- Boosted Armor
- Boosted Damage
- Speed Boost
- Gold Box
The effect of all supplies last for 30 seconds - aside from the Mine, which lasts until the player who placed the mine is destroyed, leaves the battle or another player activates the mine by driving over it (the only exception is the Miner which allows for a certain number of mines to survive after the owner dies); the Repair Kit, which instantly restores 1000 HP and reduces burning and freezing effects, and then additionally restores 3000 hit points over 3 seconds; and finally, the "Gold Box Supply", which works only as a trigger for dropping a Gold Box.
|F||Drop the flag / pass the ball. (Available in Capture the Flag, Assault, and Rugby modes).|
|+ / -||Increase or decrease game screen size. A smaller game window provides higher frame rates (FPS).|
|Tab||Shows the scoreboard of current battle. The scoreboard displays the names and scores of the players participating in the battle.|
|Left-click||Left-click on a player in the scoreboard to view their profile or copy his/her nickname to clipboard (useful when you use /vote player’s nickname command to complain).|
|Tank movement keys (you can also use arrow keys on the numeric pad when the NumLock is off).|
|Z or X
< or >
|Rotates the turret.|
|C or ?||Centres the turret.|
Ctrl + \
|fn + Del||Self-destruction (Mac only).|
|Q and E
PgUp and PgDn
[ and ]
|Change camera position.|
|Enter||Type a message in the chat, press Enter again to send the message.|
|Tab||Switch between Team chat and General chat with a chat window opened.|
|P||Pause. Please note that pausing the game for longer than 2 minutes will cause you to be removed from the match.|
|F11||Make the game, fullscreen.|
|G||View your Garage quickly without manually selecting it from the top panel.|
If you're facing problems such as a displaced/broken key on your keyboard, keyboard ghosting, or just because you play with another set of keys, you can customize your controls by defining a key to each action that happens in the game (on the desktop version only, of course). A very popular example of this is the Gold Box supply. The default button for using that supply was 6, but it was right next to the Speed Boost (4) and Mine (5) buttons. Hence, tankers would often mistakenly drop their valuable Gold Box supplies. This can easily be solved by altering controls, or in other words, customizing them.
To begin doing so, you need to head over to the Settings tab, which can be accessed by clicking on the button, which is present on the right side of the multitasking bar.
Once you click on it, click on the 'Controls' tab, which will bring up a wide variety of control settings for the game. If you scroll below, you'll be able to see, access, and edit the default-set buttons to any button on your keyboard. You can do this by:
- Clicking on the control you want to change.
- Pressing the key on your keyboard you want the previous control to be changed to.
Note that you will be able to change these controls as many times as you like. Moreover, you can assign three buttons to each action. For example, the default button for dropping a flag is F, but you can also set Y and U to it, so that each time you press F, Y or U, the flag will drop.
Possible Problems when Customizing Controls
Here's a list of the possible problems that can occur while you are changing the default controls:
- Empty Controls
While customizing controls, it may occur that you accidentally left a row empty. Now, there are three fields in which you can enter the buttons of your choice, but it is very important to have at least one field of every action filled with the button of your choice. If you leave the whole row for a specific action empty (e.g. Use Gold Box supply), the action you try to do in the game will not occur at all. For example, if I have no key assigned to use a Speed Boost, I will not be able to do so without assigning a key first.
- Same Assignments
If you mistakenly assign an already assigned key to a second action, the field for the original action will become empty and the field for the action you just assigned a key to will fill with the key you pressed. Reverting this is easy - just fill the empty field back up again and choose a new one for the second field.
- Mouse controls were introduced to the game on April 9, 2015. Mouse controls are activated by selecting the respective option in the Settings menu.
- The cursor will disappear while you are using mouse controls, so to make it reappear simply press and hold the Tab key.
- With mouse controls, the exciting ability to control your camera without rotating your turret was added, which is especially useful for those with turrets with slow rotation speed. To do this, hold down the right mouse button.
- If you would like to switch between keyboard and mouse controls, this is possible by either using the keyboard turret rotation keys or clicking the left mouse button. However, if you want to permanently disable mouse controls, you can do so by deselecting the option in the Settings menu.
- Please note that the mouse controls are only available on the Tanki downloadable HTML client, Firefox, Opera (up to v12.18), Chrome, and Internet Explorer browsers, so if you would like to try this feature, you must download and use one of the supported browsers. It does not work in Safari and Edge.
- At the moment mouse controls with the Magnum turret do not work with augments that remove the turret's horizontal rotation.
- If mouse controls are active with a hovering hull, your hull's and turret's rotation will follow your camera, and using the left/right or a/d keys will strafe your hull side to side. Without mouse controls, it is not possible to strafe hovering hulls: left/right and a/d will turn your hull instead.