Crystal Boxes are a type of bonus box that drop in a shade of blue in random locations at any given moment. Upon catching, this box adds ten crystals and ten experience points to the players account.
History of Crystal Boxes
- In 2009, there were two kinds of crystal boxes: the normal crystal box which contained 1x crystal per box, and the "super version", the gold box which included 100x crystals.
- From 2009 until early-2013, the economy of the game was different. Everything crystal-related was ten times less value than it is now.. For example, the regular Gold Box currently contains 1000x crystals but back then it contained only 100x crystals.
- April 26, 2012 — the logic of the crystal boxes dropping was changed along with Gold Boxes. Now, instead of dropping in concentrated lumps, the boxes dropped in a much bigger area throughout the map.
- May 24, 2012 — on the maps of Silence and Silence II, certain zones were fixed and crystal boxes’ zones were moved around.
- February 7, 2013 — the economy of the game changed and everything crystal-related was multiplied by ten.
- November 20, 2014 — as part of an experiment, the regular crystal boxes were removed from the game. Crystals that would have dropped in boxes was instead added to the battle fund.
- June 3, 2020 Crystal boxes were brought back into the game, but with a few changes; they now drop only in Matchmaking battles and only on maps with a rank no higher than Sergeant-Major.
- December 2 - December 7, 2020 - During the Goodbye, Flash! event, crystal boxes returned to all matchmaking battles for a limited time.
Removal of Crystal Boxes
Collecting crystal boxes had been a part of Tanki Online from its earliest stages. However, it didn’t affect gameplay that much – boxes contained a modest number of crystals, and collecting them wasn’t worth the time and effort. Plus, they would disappear over time. When developing the new drop box logics, developers modeled crystal drops after supply boxes, without assuming that it would escalate the situation. The open testing didn’t unravel this problem either, as each account there had more than enough crystals so there was no reason to collect crystal drops. On release day, the developers thought that the complaints of tankers were caused due to doubled battle funds, which result in a larger number of crystals in drops
Being in the game for so long, they had acquired a very strong bond between players of all kinds. Those who were serious in winning for their team and then those which cared only about how big their garage was. Needless to say, as the game grew and more and more players started to join in, crystal boxes had become a problem in battles. In the end, developers ended up removing them for good.
Surprisingly, the feedback on the experiment was very positive. Players, as a whole, were happy with the change as it did not affect those who played battles actively and helped around with the main objectives.
There were a few reasons behind the removal of crystal boxes, but the major one was that they were just a distraction in battle. Some players, in hopes of summing up huge number of crystals in their garage would just mult around in the battle under “hot spots” - places where such boxes were most likely to drop and get them over and over again. This created problems for all players in battle as having half of your team not focused on the game doesn’t really create a conducive environment for winning. Therefore, as aforementioned, crystal boxes were completely removed from the game.
The Return of Crystal Boxes
For almost six years, crystals boxes were out of the game, and nobody expected to see them coming back. However, On the 3rd of June 2020, Tanki announced the return of the crystals boxes, but with a few changes that would maintain balance in the economy. Crystal boxes now drop only in Matchmaking battles and only on maps with a rank no higher than Sergeant-Major. This change did not affect old players since most of them reached high levels. Tanki made this change in order for beginners to get used to the game.
|Crystal Boxes - Normal
|New Years 2013
|New Years 2012|
|Crystal Boxes - Post-2012
|Crystal Boxes - Pre-2012
|New Years 2011|
|1x - Unused|