First and foremost, it's important to choose a strong password when creating your account. Even if you're late in the game with a weak password, it's highly recommended to change it to a more secure one.
Avoid using passwords such as 123456, password, 111111, 123321, etc. Instead, aim for a more complicated, secure password for which you're sure only you will know and no one else.
Here are a few basic tips for creating a strong password:
- Never use username as a password. Username and password must be different! Also, do not use your date of birth, phone number, your name or any other data that could potentially be associated with you.
- Use as many characters as you think would be easy to remember. Using at least 8 is recommended.
- Include uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Use special symbols, such as '#' or '/'.
Securing Your Account
There are a few simple things you can do to secure your account besides a strong password.
- Link your account to an e-mail address.
It's one of the easiest ways to increase the security of your account. Besides all the security benefits, there are lots of other good reasons why you should do this. Follow these instructions for information on how to do this.
- Use a password different from your Tanki account for the e-mail address which it is linked to.
If your Tanki account does get hacked, it usually isn't very hard to recover it provided you have linked it to a valid e-mail address. But if a hacker gets hold of your e-mail address, and both your Tanki and e-mail account's passwords are the same not only will your Tanki account be stolen but also your e-mail. Recovering your account without being able to access the e-mail which it is linked to may be much harder compared to if you still had access to it.
If you have a Facebook account, you can link it to your Tanki account as well.
Avoiding Phishers and Scammers
- Never give your password to anyone. Even the Administration will never ask you for it. Never, under any circumstances, give your password to anyone, be it a friend, Moderator, or some player you have just met in chat.
There are many players who share their password with a friend "to play on my account and get me that Thunder" - please be aware that firstly, that friend can change your password and in that way steal your account. Secondly, account sharing is forbidden by the Game Rules and is punished by a complete block from the game forever.
- Your email address, payment details - all those things can be asked only by email@example.com. (Tanki Tech Support)
Don't give any of those details to some player in Skype, who represented himself as an "admin" - the real Developers have avatars on the forum. If you get a letter asking about this data from an email address, different from firstname.lastname@example.org - it's fake. Just delete it.
- Never, under any circumstances, accept files from strangers on your computer.
Such files may contain viruses, or a keylogger, which will get your password. Accept files only from people you know, and even then, still be careful - if the file's name or extension is strange - ask what exactly is it before accepting.
- The Administration never gives crystals to anyone for no reason, nor makes offers to become a Moderator, or gives invite codes for test server anywhere, in chat, forum or Skype.
Free crystals or hacks - they do not exist. Scammers create those sites and forums just to make you write your password there, thus, to steal your account.
If you're being asked to give any private information for crystals in return, or to download a program, etc - you must know, you're being scammed!